Fall Colors

Fall Colors
"The greatest work you will ever do will be within the walls of your own home." - Harold B. Lee

Friday, March 13, 2009

Too Much TV

Earlier this week Mark and I agreed that there has been far too much television watching in our family. As much as we hate to admit it, we have become complacent. With our busy schedules, we are more tired at night and the TV was our excuse to relax. It also became the excuse to keep the kids entertained so that Mom could get things done around the house or Dad could focus on his homework.

We decided that we would try an experiment. For three days the TV would stay OFF and we would find other things to do. I was certain that the girls would have a very difficult time with it. I also figured that I would miss being able to watch the news whenever I wanted and that Mark would miss the History Channel and ESPN.

Interestingly enough ..... the experiment was very enlightening. Not only did we not really miss the television, but we were more productive, spent more quality time together, and we were generally a happier family. The girls behaved better and I actually got a few projects done that I had been putting off for quite a while. Emma even told us that she wasn't sad about not watching television at all!

So the bottom line is that we made it through the three days just fine and we have new rules for television use in our family. I have more motivation and I feel like I have had some great fun with my girls this week for which I am extremely thankful.

1 comment:

The Family Rasheed said...

We have not had television in our house til we moved here and you're right it makes the kids happier and you get so much more done without it! In our next home we will go without it!