Fall Colors

Fall Colors
"The greatest work you will ever do will be within the walls of your own home." - Harold B. Lee

Saturday, March 14, 2009

Half-Marathon

In two months I am going to be participating in a half-marathon in Boise, along with a bunch of girls from my stake as well as my two sisters. I've never attempted anything like this before and I am very excited. We all have a training schedule that we are following and it's nice to be able to check in with the girls and motivate each other.

Each Saturday we have a "group" run but during the week we all train on our own. Last week the group runs started with a three mile loop. It was freezing cold but we managed to finish just fine. Today was the four mile run. Most of the girls were going to participate in a locak 10k race, but I decided to just put on my IPod and do a four mile loop by myself.

It was a beautiful morning. It was cool and crisp outside but not freezing. I love getting out early in the mornings. It's quiet and peaceful and a wonderful way to start your day. I put on some Mormon Tabernacle Choir music and just hustled along. The only downside to my run was that I am breaking in a new pair of running shoes and about half way through, was feeling the pain on the backs of my ankles. I was getting blisters. Fortunately I had my cell phone with me so I called up my sweet husband who packed the kiddos in the car and drove to find me with a box of band-aids. I put four on each ankle and then started off again. My family just followed me the rest of the way home so I felt like I had my own little cheering section with me.

In order to have some accountability I thought that I would post each week about the progress I am making. That way you can all check in and make sure that I am sticking to the training schedule as I should. I've already had a couple of phone calls this morning to find out how I did. Next week is the five mile run so hopefully I'll be able to keep it up! What am I saying? OF COURSE I'll be keeping it up! 'Til next Saturday!

2 comments:

The Family Rasheed said...

Oh Wendie I want to join in the fun!! Call me with the details!!

Tracie said...

Good for you! I'm sure that would be too much for me. A 10-K maybe, but a half-marathon - no way.