Fall Colors

Fall Colors
"The greatest work you will ever do will be within the walls of your own home." - Harold B. Lee

Monday, August 16, 2010

Trip to the Coast!

Mark needed to attend a business meeting in Tillamook, Oregon a couple of weeks ago and we decided that the girls and I would join him and have a little mini-vacation. Boy am I glad we did! We had so much fun and I can never get enough of the coast! If you haven't been to Tillamook, you should know that it is known for its dairy farms and cheese! So of course we had to check out the cheese factories in town. The first was a small factory: Blue Heron. We enjoyed seeing it. I love this picture - not because my husband and children are animals, but because Samantha is looking up to her big sister. Too cute!

The big tourist attraction in town is the Tillamook Cheese Factory. It's very large and the tourists are encouraged to go in and see how the cheese is made and packaged, and also to learn the history and the process. It was really very fascinating, especially for Mark who grew up on a dairy farm in Minnesota.

One of the best parts of the tour is being able to sample all of their cheeses. The girls kept going through the line because they love cheese so much. It was very delicious!

Of course you can't leave without having a Tillamook ice cream cone! Oh my gosh, was the chocolate mudslide ice cream yummy!

After the factory we purchased a few picnic necessities to go to the lighthouse and have a little picnic before Mark needed to be to his meeting. It was so gorgeous there and a perfect spot for picnicing! While Mark was in his meetings the girls and I stayed at the hotel and swam in the swimming pool and played games. Fortunately Mark was finished early and so we drove about 10 minutes up to the coast to Rockaway Beach where my family once stayed years and years ago. It was beautiful!
Of course, if you have never been to the Oregon Coast you should know that it isn't really ideal for swimming. The water is freezing and the temperatures along the coast are only about 60 degrees. But the views are breathtaking and the sand is very inviting. We had a good time chasing the waves on the beach.
I love the ocean. It's a very sacred place for me. There's something about looking out at the vast expanse of water and waves and feeling very close to heaven...but also a little frightened at the magnificence of it. I feel so blessed to view such a creation! If I had my choice to live anywhere, it would be near the ocean.
On the way home we stopped at Multnomah Falls for a quick break. They are so beautiful but it is always crazy busy there.
The trip was a blast and I am definitely looking forward to our return!

No comments: