Fall Colors

Fall Colors
"The greatest work you will ever do will be within the walls of your own home." - Harold B. Lee

Sunday, October 7, 2012

General Conference

Ahh, General Conference Weekend!  Our family so looks forward to this each April and October!  It's so nice to be at home as as family and listen to the wonderful talks from our Church leaders.  We try to make quite the event out of it in our house - we keep our schedules cleared, we have fun food, and fun activities.  This morning we sat down together and had yummy cinnamon rolls, orange rolls, and fruit for breakfast. 

I always make some sort of conference snack mix for the kids - This is a poem that I found on the internet that I just loved and so I copied it for the girls and made the mix with these suggestions.  It was quite delicious!

I always look for some quiet activities that the girls can work on while still being engaged in what we are seeing on TV.  Yesterday they made an Articles of Faith booklet.  I had each article of faith put into puzzle pieces and they had to figure them out and past the puzzles together.  Then we just used a hole punch and tied up the pages together to make a book.  Now it is something that they can bring to Church with them to help with memorizing.  It would have been better if I was able to laminate the pages - maybe down the road I will do that.
Today Emma and Sam spent their time during both sessions making a Gospel Picture Collage!  I just used old copies of the Ensign that I let them flip through and cut out pictures.  They really enjoyed themselves and were very creative.  Plus, it's something that they can hang up in their bedroom and have a good reminder of important principles.
Most importantly, Clara's nap times just happened to coincide with the times of conference so we didn't have a screaming baby while we tried to listen and it was extra incentive for Emma and Sam to stay quiet. :)  We are already looking forward to our next General Conference!

2 comments:

Tiffani said...

Such great ideas, Wendie! Your girls are so cute and are growing up too fast!

Tracie said...

What cool ideas! I especially liked that poem and snack mix. I'l have to remember that.