Fall Colors

Fall Colors
"The greatest work you will ever do will be within the walls of your own home." - Harold B. Lee

Saturday, May 2, 2009

Week Nine Marathon Update


Today was the big day in the training program. We went TWELVE MILES! Our route was between two little towns outside of La Grande. I was a little nervous this morning when I woke up and realized that it was raining. I just decided to go ahead with plans and keep my fingers crosssed that the rain would stop. It was a 15 mile drive out to Cove where we began but the rain was still coming down by the time I started. It was actually very beautiful. The rain wasn't coming down hard - just a light shower - and it was a perfect temperature. Plus, there was no wind at all which I was very grateful for. I'd much rather work out in the rain than in the wind. The first six miles or so went great - I stayed right with the pace that I had set for myself. I was actually pretty warm. Plus, Mark and the girls showed up around that time to cheer me on so I was very happy about that. But at about mile eight the wind came up more and the rain was coming at me sideways. Also, cars and trucks kept passing me and spraying me with water. I was thoroughly soaked. Having the wind come at me just made me have to work that much harder and my pace slowed down a bit. The other thing that was hard was that the last five miles were a straight stretch on a country road that seemed to last forever. I kept looking ahead for the turn in the road to take me into Union but it just never came! Thank goodness that Mark was there giving me gatorade and a power bar to keep my energy up. He could tell that I was having a hard time and he and the girls would roll down their windows yelling, "GO MOM, GO MOM!" It was a huge help! Finally I made the turn into Union and I knew I only had two more miles to go through town. (Coincidentally, just as I was making the turn, the song on my IPOD was the theme to "Chariots of Fire." Isn't that great?) My pace picked up a bit as I could see the stopping point ahead and my wonderful husband standing outside the car waiting for me. At this point I didn't care about my time, I just wanted to finish! I ran into his arms and I just wanted to collapse. My two little girls got out of the car and gave me big hugs. I had made it!
By the time we got home to our house, I was freezing and soaked to the bone. I have never been so thankful for a hot shower. My cute friend Alisa brought me over some muscle rub gel because my legs are pretty sore. I can't believe I actually did 12 miles - I'm really proud of my accomplishment. Hopefully the actual marathon in Boise in two weeks will be a breeze now that I've survived today! One of the great things about this morning was having our husbands and kids coming along with us and cheering us on along the way. It's so nice to have that kind of support. I'm so grateful to have this circle of friends to conquer this goal with.

1 comment:

The Family Rasheed said...

I am so proud and inspired by you!! You are awesome!!! Good luck at the big race!!! I know you'll be awesome!